Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sitting pretty on top



First, I am disappointed to say I missed it. Eden Gardens, that b-e-a-u-tiful cricket ground, despite my denial, I know is the Mecca of Indian Cricket. India trailing SA 0-1 in the series. Our batting line-up setting the scene for the second test by piling on the runs. Then, our bowlers ripping apart the SA batting line-up to score an innings victory. And India retains no. 1 spot in Test rankings. Yes test matches, that truly define excellence in cricket. What an amazing moment. And I missed it!!

Like most Indians, I have always been a die-hard cricket fan since as far back as I can remember. As a six-year old, crying, with tears rolling down cheeks & all, when Kapil Dev's Indian side lost to Sri Lanka in a one-day series. Then, at 11, truly learning to be a knowledgeable follower of the game, by watching test matches. Still remember the India-SA test series of 1996 with those moments - V. Prasad's fifer, Sachin's 169 & the heart-break at the draw of the final Test. Also a huge Australian fan, I earned the ire of family & friends when I voiced my support for them, even when the played against India.

But ultimately, its India all the way. Rather than just being something out of patriotic sense, I am truly a fan of the Indian team by their sheer improvement since the new millennium. First, it was Sourav Ganguly (my favourite alongside Sachin Tendulkar and Shane Warne) who began the metamorphosis of the Indian side into a real 11-man unit. He got the young guns like Yuvraj, Harbhajan and Dhoni in the side, supporting them all the way. And Dhoni is continuing the same way. After that wretched 2007 World Cup, I have high hopes from the 2011 edition to be played on home soil. It might well be the swansong of one of the greatest, "if not the" (oh so cliched!!) batsman of all time, Sachin Tendulkar. And I see a team that can bring the cup back home.
Is baar Cup zaroor wapas laana hai!!!

However, plenty of action still left in 2010 first. The T20 World Cup will be fun. Though a format that seems more like a game of gambling, it is fun, like dessert. The real action will continue towards the end of 2010, when the thunder from down under Australia & New Zealand come to play in India. OMG!!! India vs Australia!! Bring it on baby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment